Are you thinking about the perfect eCommerce platform that will suit your online store? The discussion for which ecommerce development platform is the best is always emerging as a significant one that is going on among the entrepreneurs and proficient ecommerce developers. There are over 24 million eCommerce websites currently that sell their products and services online across the globe. In 2018, the global retail revenue was about $2.8 trillion, and it is expected to increase up to $4.8 billion by the end of 2021. The e-market is expanding at a fast pace, you can very well understand how important it is now to have an online store with best ecommerce features for your business.
However, while having an online store, the very first step is to check for the best eCommerce platform to have a smooth business model. Among multiples of online stores development platforms, it can be difficult to select the perfect one for your business.
Being a leading ecommerce website development company in Bangalore, to ease your concerns regarding technical knowledge of ecommerce solution, in this article, we tried to compare 5 most popular eCommerce development platforms by a thorough review and analysis of the features and functionalities. We jotted down their USP (Unique Selling Point as well as the pros and cons of each platform.
In this article we have done the comparison of bigcommerce vs woocommerce vs shopify and shopify vs opencart vs magento, magento 2 vs opencart.
Shopify is an eCommerce Store building platform. This platform was found in the year 2004 by Scott Lake, Daniel Weinand, and Tobias Lutke. It has almost been 16 years since Shopify is in business, and has continuously been updating itself.
It has 800,000 merchants currently in 175 countries enjoying its benefits. Shopify eCommerce development aids in making a website, and using the platform’s facilities to sell, ship, and thereby manage products. Mode of working and convenience of usage-
Shopify Ecommerce platform is an example of a SaaS platform which means Software as a Service solution. Shopify provides hosting, SSL certificates and approximately 95% ease of use with ability to identify the features on the screen and effectively use it to store owners. This platform renders full control over the website coding (HTML and CSS). It is preferred by both startup and large enterprise business owners because of its unique and prominent functionalities. Shopify has recently integrated with Amazon thereby enabling the merchants to sell their products on Amazon through Shopify Admin Panel. Shopify provide different security patches.
- Recovery of the Abandoned cart
- Integration with advanced selling channels such as Facebook, Amazon, and Pinterest.
- SEO and Digital Marketing.
- Inclusion of several payment gateways such as credit card.
- Unlimited useful add-ons and built-in features in the Shopify app store.
- Auto-calculation of shipping prices.
- Proficient Inventory Management
- User-friendly ecommerce platform.
Pros and Cons of Shopify
- Shopify provides in-built hosting services.
- Shopify offers a number of mobile-ready storefront themes, which are easy to navigate as well.
- SEO-friendly ecommerce platform.
- Provision of 14 days trial services.
- Themes and plugins are able to augment your online store functionalities.
- 24/7 support services through phone, email or live chat.
- No coding required for creating a website.
- Enables you to connect your website to social media platforms.
- Hosting service is a bit big budget in Shopify.
- In Shopify there will be transaction fee charges per sale.
- Only 10 themes are free among the many themes they offer.
- Most of the plugins and themes are expensive.
Magento Ecommerce development platform is an open-source e-commerce platform built in PHP that was launched in 2008 by Roy Robin. It offers a flexible shopping cart system along with full control over the website’s content, appearance and functionality for the online merchants. This ecommerce platform provides excellent search engine optimization, powerful marketing, and robust catalog-management tools. At Indglobal – the Best Magento web design and development company in India, our expert developers are using Magento for a smooth e-commerce development.
Magento had the latest update of Magento 2 in 2015 post which it kept on modernizing itself trying to eliminate the cons hindering its growth. Magento was sold to eBay, Permira and currently it is in the hold of Adobe Inc which not only benefited Magento but also enhanced its importance in the enterprise market.
Among the products that were sold through online stores, approximately $155 billion were generated from Magento-based stores in 2019.
Magento features’ list is quite comprehensive, including almost everything that’s required for e-commerce website development.
- Magento has emerged as the 3d world-popular eCommerce software.
- This platform presents 5000 extensions.
- Excellent Catalog Management supporting customization options
- Simple and convenient Advertising & Marketing Tool that aids in cross selling of the products
- Proficient Order Management system
- Abandoned shopping cart recovery
- Google analytics tools for Tracking & Reporting
- SEO centric web development services
- Magento theme customization and template design.
- Integration between Magento and third-party apps
- It uses HTML5 for generating a Responsive Layout for Mobiles.
- Built-in Search Engine Optimization
- Media files (audio and video) are supported.
- Multiple orders shipment in a single order
- Integration with PayPal and several authorized online payment platforms.
- SSL security support for both front-end/back-end orders.
The Pros and cons of Magento E-commerce Development
- Magento has a quite a big Community of Users
- Magento is Flexible
- Enables complete customization
- It has more than 1500 product Magento extensions.
- Enables segregation of the customers on the basis of their purchase history, wishlist, and shopping cart.
- Magento is Mobile-Friendly
- Magento is highly Scalable platform
- Magento is Expensive
- Magento is Time-consuming
- Ready made themes not available
- Without knowledge about coding it’s not easy to get a grip on the Magento platform.
- Though it is open source, you need to get the website hosting done with the 3rd party developers
WooCommerce is an open-source plugin for WordPress which is a basically blogging website platform allowing the business to have the benefits. It was developed by James Koster and Mike Jolley in 2011.
WooCommerce became popular due to its simple installation and customization process. It’s free and it adds enhanced ecommerce functionality to the WordPress theme development. It is a versatile e-store tool. Industries like healthcare, IT, are leveraging the improved functionalities of WooCommerce today. You need to install and activate the WooCommerce plugin first and then add products, shopping cart, and finally the checkout option. Navigating things are quite easy as the operations are to be done from the dashboard itself. Approximately 4,414,537 websites are using WooCommerce currently and 7.4%of all websites employ WooCommerce Store. WordPress refers to a blogging website platform, and WooCommerce refers to its plugin allowing the business to have the benefits. WooCommerce has an approximate 6.8% share among the top 1 million websites and also currently it ranks No.1 among various eCommerce platforms in the market share.
- WooCommerce is developed by integrating with WordPress seamlessly and it has all of WordPress’s advanced features and reliability.
- Includes preinstalled payment gateways that you can integrate with your e-store.
- Inclusion of several configurable and mobile-friendly premium and free WooCommerce themes
- Highly competent Content Management, ecommerce marketing and sales optimization
- Highly compatible and intuitive Analytics tool
- Seamless and intelligent cart features.
- Automatic tax calculation features
- supports Geo-location
- Flexible and impressive Shipping Options
- Unrestricted and unrivaled customization options
- Equipped with unlimited product selling features
The Pros and Cons of WooCommerce E-commerce Development
- You can create a completely personalized store with its unparalleled customization options.
- Availability of several Woo Themes specialized for WooCommerce websites.
- SEO-friendly website allowing you to edit your store’s metadata.
- Pre-installed review facilities and rating features for stores as well as their products.
- Well organized reports as per their category
- code is kept along with its modular nature
- Equipped with Advanced Features like product listing, order management etc.
- WooCommerce is not optimized for the German market. Which indicates that selling your products in German or European countries is not possible with WooCommerce for which you need Plugins like WordPress-Plugin Germanized or the paid one supporting the German market.
- Developing a website in WooCommerce lacks some legality where general terms and conditions, revocation regulations, shipping regulations, data protection declaration, procedural directory, etc. will be lacking
- Its dependency on the other plugins
- It requires thorough site testing in a closed test environment.
- Customer support is not that great.
- While constructing a website you need to pay for hosting.
BigCommerce is referred to as one of the easiest shopping cart ecommerce development platforms to build a website. It was founded by Eddie Mahealani and Mitchell Harper in 2009. Currently, it has 100,000+ online stores in 65 countries.
Shopify and BigCommerce is a SaaS eCommerce development platform that offers almost all the required tools and features to build a robust eCommerce store. It assists you to build your online store, add products and smart shopping carts there along with easy and quick check out methods. It also helps you to market your brand with its great SEO feature. BigCommerce is free for use after one pays its monthly fees. Setting up an e store using big commerce is very easy, as of its user-friendly dashboard and easy navigation features.
The ease of use is almost 99% in case of BigCommerce ecommerce development, whether for a start-up or a well-groomed business.
- Mobile-friendly themes
- Enhanced SEO features
- 40+ pre-installed payment gateways
- Multiple design options with point-and-click tools, themes etc.
- Customizable CSS/HTML
- Availability for Product reviews
The Pros and cons of Big commerce ecommerce Platform
- BigCommerce offers built-in marketing features and functionalities to help your business grow.
- Zero transaction fee features.
- Integration with social media platforms like Facebook, Amazon, eBay etc.
- Amazing scalability, has the capability to provide excellent support even if your store grows from 10 to 100,000 products.
- Enables addition of numerous product variants.
- Plans upgrade automatically on the basis of your yearly sales threshold.
- Pretty expensive themes.
- The URLs cant be changed in blog posts.
OpenCart is an open-source ecommerce platform that is built on a PHP framework which offers an added advantage with the highest number of customization options in comparison to other ecommerce platforms to enhance your business. OpenCart’s presence as an eCommerce platform was established in 2009 by Daniel Kerr. Before that, in 1999 it was developed by Christopher G. Mann. After its release in 2009, it acquired a good grip on helping businesses to grow online. OpenCart supports multi languages and currencies.
The very basic installation of an OpenCart ecommerce store does not involve inclusion of any add-ons. However, to improve your business growth, the paid version of OpenCart that encloses a number of add-ons and functionalities might need to be purchased. Approximately, 1 million websites are currently using OpenCart ecommerce functionalities to successfully run their online business in a seamless manner.
- You can add unlimited products with OpenCart and manage them simultaneously.
- OpenCart Supports multiple language and multi-currency features.
- It has over 20 payment gateways integrated.
- Option of multiple themes.
- Product review features and ratings.
- Availability of numerous themes, plugins, and extensions.
- An easy to navigate Admin panel for merchants which shows valuable stats
- Free to download.
- It is an easy-to-use platform.
- High efficiency
- There are more than 13000 extensions available.
- Addition of multiple products without any complication.
- Customizable options for the website.
- It is a bit complicated to customize the website developed on Open cart.
- Not very SEO-Friendly. Installation of add-ons are required for the same.
- Relatively slow checkout process.
- Overall moderate Functionalities.
- A Lots errors may be encountered while updating.
All these eCommerce platforms like wordpress site woocommerce, magento have their individualized advantages while some are great for startups or small businesses others are good for large scale businesses. Some platforms cost effective while some might require a big budget. Some call for developers, while some platforms provide you the ability to do the work yourself.
It is your sole decision ultimately which platform you should go for, as per your business needs. If you still feel confused, please consult the best ecommerce website development company in Bangalore. They will help you in selecting the best eCommerce platform and creating one thereby helping you stand high in the competition with a well-equipped ecommerce website for your business.