We come across a lot of businesses who wish to optimize their eCommerce website development in Bangalore and integrate with a mobile app as it decreases the cost of app development considerably. Additionally, ecommerce apps derived from the existing websites take comparatively less time to market. However, contributing towards ecommerce website development in India from scratch is a more costly affair for startups and small-time businesses running online marketplaces. And there remain many differences between building a mobile app and crafting a successful mobile app for your eCommerce business.
In this blog, we tried to summarize the steps and the various advantages that are associated with creating a mobile app for your ecommerce business. It will also answer your queries on the cost of development of an eCommerce app or the best practices for eCommerce web design Bangalore.
Advantages associated with uplifting your ecommerce business through Mobile commerce apps
There are some advantages of using a mobile platform to significantly boost your business in the ecommerce sector.
- By offering a responsive eCommerce website in a mobile app, the customers can be provided with an improved experience.
- Mobile apps help you reach a large number of customers. Additionally, if your app is integrated with the social media platforms then you can encourage your customers to publicize your brand through their comments, tags etc.
- According to TheDroidsonRoids, mobile apps are much faster in loading data and search results on the mobile devices that aids in easy access of services and products faster in a mobile app.
- The customer journey can be accelerated for the convenience of shopping.
- It can generate new marketing opportunities in the form of a mobile marketing channel. For example, it offers you several features like news feeds, search options, product pricing, multiple payments etc.
- Mobile ecommerce apps enable you to deliver personalised messages, offers, notifications etc. to customers.
- The mobile app assists you to gain valuable insights into the behaviours and preferences as well as to forecast trends and understand customer shopping patterns of your targeted users.
- mCommerce apps help businesses to reach their customers through push notifications when they are surfing through the products and it also allows you to give them suggestions for their next purchase.
- With paid advertising and geo-tracking, you can also connect with the consumers during any time in their day and significantly increase the possibilities of sales if you implement that perfectly.
Steps that are necessary to take into account prior to building a successful mobile commerce app.
Adopting a systematic procedure with any proficient company for ecommerce development Bangalore not only ensures that the resulting app is going to be ready for testing on time but also highlights and helps in the procedure for development of a secured app.
1. Market Research and analysis-
A rich market research undoubtedly is going to build a strong foundation for your app. It is crucial that you identify the domain you wish to operate in as the strategies, features, and analytics- all of these are going to depend on the field you choose at this stage. In this phase you need to finalise upon the USPs of your app. Market research can also be fruitful for identifying the right target audience and their preferences, behaviors, requirements etc. You can also use online forums, or survey forms, and social media for this purpose. You can also try getting an idea of the buying patterns of the target customers.
2. Competition research to establish supremacy-
Once you have a clear conception regarding the market and identifying your target users, it is time to take a step ahead for some competitive analysis. Apart from the usual competition, you can also try listing down your competitors selling the same product as you and with the apps having a similar Unique Value Proposition (UVP) like yours. It can render a useful insight into the challenges that might come your way. Now it is time to find out their target consumers or the products which are getting profits, the marketing strategy that they are implementing, revenue, and so on. This information will surely help you to come up with an app that is seamless and contributes a lot more towards satisfying the users.
3. Platform selection for a smooth application development process-
The first step in building an ecommerce mobile app is to select the suitable eCommerce platforms available in the market. You have an entire range of options within full-fledged enterprise-grade Content Management Systems such as Magento to the WordPress plugins like WooCommerce. Identifying the platform is an important criteria when it comes to building an app out of a website as the results of this selection of the platform decide the course of the application development that will be followed. For instance, the process may be simpler for OpenCart but it is a bit tedious for Magento.
Native v/s Hybrid
If you are thinking about whether to pick for a native app or a hybrid app, then probably you should consider the following factors. Native apps are those which can run on a specific mobile OS like Android or iOS. A hybrid app, on the contrary, works on multiple mobile operating systems.
- User experience and performance: Since a native app is OS specific, it provides superior performance along with an intuitive navigation. A hybrid app, however, mimics the website and doesn’t offer a fair job of retaining the customers on the app.
- App features: You can integrate several features like GPS navigation, camera access, or use of mobile sensors in a native app which play a significant role in the success of eCommerce apps.
- Time and cost for development: A hybrid app is less time consuming and therefore it costs you less as it’s based on a single code base. If time is a constraint then you can go for picking a hybrid app.
4. Select a suitable CMS for improved scalability and performance-
eCommerce apps have extensive databases and inventory catalogs. Each product has a lot of information associated with it along with several relevant images and videos. So, to store all this data within the app you need to rely on a suitable CMS and it should be mobile app friendly as well to improve the user experience.
It may also happen that you are already using a CMS to take care of the backend of your online store and in such a case, you need to just ensure that it is mobile app friendly. On the other hand, if you want to go for a new CMS there are plenty of reputed options like Magento, WooCommerce, and/ or Shopify- which are the most popular CMSs in the eCommerce industry. But the CMS you finally opt for should be a comprehensive solution for all your eCommerce fronts. With hybrid CMS the app development will be a lot more pleasant and you will also get a relatively independent front end and backend.
5. Finalize on the essential features-
Now, it is the time to integrate the app with essential features that will give you a competitive edge. You need to take into account the basic features that are present invariably on all eCommerce mobile apps such as secure login, shopping cart, assorted product catalog, secure mobile payment options etc.
Next, you can proceed for the advanced features which will give you an edge over your competitors. These features are as described below.
- Wishlist button: A wish list button assists to save a product to view it later, thus providing you an opportunity of making the sale down the road.
- Advanced search options: Advanced search options like voice search and/ or image search can aid in making your app more attractive.
- QR code scanner: Integrating scanners in apps helps to deliver an intuitive and improved shopping experience.
- Push notifications: Apart from being a good way to broadcast offers and discounts Push notifications can assist you bring user attention back to your e-store in case they haven’t been active lately.
- Product score and review: You can include some reliable product scores and review features to make choices easier for consumers.
- One-tap-buy: A one-tap-buy option can prove to be useful if the user visits an app to buy a single and particular product as it removes the possibilities of cart abandonment.
- Augmented Reality: AR is the option of allowing your users to virtually try the products and it is one of the hot ecommerce trends as well.
- Shipping status: It’s recommended to include the package tracking option to give your customers a better option to check on the status of their order and to prefer your app over others.
6: Enhance your UI/UX and give your app an attractive look-
If you are leveraging an existing ecommerce website that customers are already accustomed with, it will be better to retain the familiar look across the ecosystem. A consistent look also empowers the branding purpose. The following options should be taken into account while enhancing the UI / UX of your app.
Easy login and smooth checkout process
Focus on offering a smooth and short checkout experience to make it seamless and to reduce the cart abandonment rates.
Inclusion of intuitive gestures
You can render excellent user interfaces just by checking on how people interact with their phones using the thumb or one hand and thereby provide an enhanced user experience
Exhibiting security measures
It is necessary that you let your users know about the security enhancement to signify a secure progression as these apps need to save the user’s payment info often including their card details.
Implement leading edge UI/UX technologies-
Design trends can speak a lot about your brand. Here are a few design elements that can help you build an elegant eCommerce app:
- Animated illustrations
- Geometric grids
- Asymmetrical layouts
- Inclusion of audio tools
Common features of ecommerce mobile applications
Here is a description of a few common features and functionalities needed for a successful e-commerce mobile app development and for a minimum viable product.
1. User Authorization
A user is required to authorize himself on any app to make purchases. This authorization is realized by means of direct interaction and via the client-server API. Social Logins use an authorization protocol for this purpose like oAuth.
2. Push notifications
Push Notification services are available on almost all major ecommerce platforms. For example, Apple Push Notification and Google Cloud Messaging for iOS and Android respectively.
3. Catalogue along with categories
Every product on an ecommerce app possesses a unique ID in the database. They also have a title, price and details.
4. Mode of Payment
Stripe and Braintree are the most popular payment gateways which support several payment methods including Google Pay.
5. Tracking purchase
Tracking purchase assists the users to track the status of an order. Ecommerce apps can also implement SMS functionality that can notify customers when the product is sent, managed, transported, etc.
6. Shopping cart
A shopping cart is very much required for the functioning of e-commerce applications. Users add items in their cart sometimes and check out from the website.
7. Customer support
Customer support via any medium like email, sms or online chat is essential. Any popular eCommerce app allows its users to receive a response from a service representative.
How much does it cost approximately to build a successful Mobile Commerce app?
The cost of developing a top-notch mobile app for your e store depends on various factors such as the complexity and number of the features, app design, tools and technologies you wish to implement or the app development company you are hiring, their policies etc. While speaking about features, it gets into the design as well. The intuitive designs will add to the hours involved in m commerce app development and thereby will cost you more. It is also very evident that different regions come up with their own pros and cons.
Considering the mentioned points, we can say that developing an mCommerce app can cost you in the range from $36,150 to $65,550 if you add only the core features. And again the approximate amount can vary depending on a specific situation for example if you wish to add advanced features into your app, then it may cost you as per that.
Wrapping it up!
Mobile app development is mainly driven by the industry standards and latest trends in technologies. Therefore, the feature that is a trend and popular right now may turn obsolete in the future. Similarly the features that you think of as futile now may turn out to be the next industry standard. But, the steps we laid down here and the points that we mentioned take into account all the best possible ways you can make your app rank higher in charts and convert that into more sales thereby serving you well to make for a stellar application. Indglobal can be the perfect partner for eCommerce mobile app development with its decade-long experience in software development. We can assist you craft an elegant app as well as expand your eCommerce business scopes with a seamless mobile application.